Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Drama Ensues

Ever feel inundated?

This week has suddenly become "Family Drama" week. Seriously, it's worse than a Lifetime special. Shall we go with bulleted points? I think so:

  • My father hasn't talked to my brother in months, maybe years? Including not bothering to call or facebook him on his Birthday. Oh, and my dad remarried, which is good but weird
  • This has led my brother to take to facebook, saying how he "hates my ******* dad"
  • My 15 year old cousin was recently expelled for drug activity, and refuses to give up said drugs
  • My 45ish aunt is pregnant, even though she can't/doesn't really take care of her two kids she has. The father used to be married to someone else. Oh, and this was purposeful on my Aunt after she miscarried a baby just last year.
  • My grandfather Joe is probably dying, but since he has alienated most of his family, no one really cares.
  • The only people who do care are those he hasn't alienated, who are upset at the rest of the family for not visiting/calling Joe
  • My 18 year old sister is pregnant, and the father is a guy who has cheated on her multiple times and recently had the facebook status "there's something about a girl saying no that makes me want to rape her lol"
I think that about covers it. Mind you, that's really only my side. I could bring in a few of Jess's family members too, but this seems like a good list.

What do I feel about all of this? Pressure. I'm the guy that my family thinks to rely on. Here's a solid example - I got a call from my cousin Andrea the other night regarding the Grandpa Joe situation. I was expecting her to yell at me because I, like most of the rest, have not called this man that I don't have a relationship with (I can seriously count the number of times I've seen him on one hand, and remember one conversation). I braced myself to be yelled at, only to discover that she was calling me because I was a "peacemaker" and she wanted me to say something to the rest of my cousins, so that they would hopefully visit/call Joe.

It reminds me of when my mom died, and I was the one who wasn't really allowed to break down. I needed to be the strong one, carry my dad, be there for my family. Take the lead, help make decisions, etc. I know that I put some of that on myself, but it was still there, undeniable.

I remember a conversation with a pastor who said that my entire family was "looking to me and wondering, whether or not I was about to break down. Be strong for them."

I don't know that this post has much of a point, other than to rail against that. I don't always want to be that guy. But I will be, as much as I can.

P.S. If you're someone involved in one of those bulleted points reading this, I'm sorry if you feel offended. Feel free to call and talk about it sometime.

1 comment:

David Morgan said...

holy smokes
sorry to hear all that
i didn't know your dad was getting remarried? thats crazy.

want some good news?
.......
the pittsburgh penguins are out in the first round!! Whoooooo!