Thursday, November 4, 2010

NFL: Week 9 Picks

63-54 right now. Effectively tied with Dave Morgan. (A tie is like kissing your sister). Let's look at the picks for Week 9.

Buccaneers at Falcons: I'll take the Falcons. As Dave pointed out, Bucs haven't beaten anyone of note yet.

Bears at Bills: Jeez, who knows. Buffalo is terrible, but they have been quite frisky the past few weeks. Buffalo has the worst rushing defense in the NFL, allowing 188 yards a game. But, this is Mike Martz, who may never run the ball, instead throwing against what is the 6th?!? best pass defense in the game. And, repeat the mantra - don't back crappy teams on the road. Can I make this a conditional pick? If Matt Forte gets less than 17 carries, Buffalo wins. Otherwise Chicago.

Patriots at Browns: I don't think the Browns have two major upsets in them this year, do you? I'll take Brady.

Jets at Lions: Everything points to a Lions loss. They haven't won back to back games in forty years. Jets are a little embarassed. And Defense trumps Offense. And AFC trumps NFC. I could go on, but I'll just take the Jets and be extremely happy if I'm wrong.

Cardinals at Vikings: I had to laugh at Dave's blog, where he wrote that there weren't any crazy headlines for this game. Oh, so Childress releasing Moss without letting the owner of the team know isn't a headline? I think Vikes will win this one and relieve a tiny bit of pressure off Childress.

Saints at Panthers: Um, Saints.

Dolphins at Ravens: Unstoppable road team meats... good-to-great team? Ultimately, this is a dangerous game for both teams, but I'll take the home team.

Chargers at Texans: I shouldn't back a crappy team on the road, but the Chargers may be the best 3-5 team in history, right? I guess I'll take San Diego as my Upset?

Giants at Seahawks: Seattle isn't a good team. The Giants may be the best team in the NFC. Easy enough. Oh, and watch for Charlie Whitehurst once Hasselbeck gets ripped in half! That's my Lock.

Chiefs at Raiders: Flip a coin. I'll take Raiders at home.

Colts at Eagles: I want to say Colts are due for a letdown, but I'm done picking against them. Colts.

Cowboys at Packers: This game looks like it's headed for fluke territory. The Cowboys are terrible, but couldn't you see them coming out and be embarassingly good in a sunday night game? Couldn't you? No. I guess not. Take the Packers.

Steelers at Bengals: Monday night game - I do wonder if this could be a game that TO and Ochocinco might thrive in. And then I remember that they're still be thrown to by Carson Palmer. So I'll stay safe and take the Steelers.

In Fantasy, I'm 4-0 the last 4 weeks. I sense this week won't be as good though. Have to hope for big games from Joe Flacco, Roddy White, Matt Forte, and (gulp) Darren Sproles or Deangelo Williams

3 comments:

David Morgan said...

the Moss release doesn't directly tie to Arizona ... that's what I meant. but yeah good point.

As per your Buffalo pick, I didn't know we were allowed to do that.

In that case, for all 13 games I'll pick whichever team ends up gaining more yards.

JK ... you're totally right about Forte. It's a gimmie for Mike Martz if he just uses an ounce of common sense.

David Morgan said...

did you check out the midseason awards? any thoughts?

David Morgan said...

Ha! Forte had 14 carries!