Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Narnia: Prince Caspian Review

This is where everyone calls me a bad christian, because I didn't like Narnia.
Yeah, so shoot me.
The allegory is heavy handed. Aslan is not my favorite picture of God. The elements that are good are underdeveloped - in particular the leadership conflict between Caspian and Peter. Edmund, my favorite kid from the first movie, has very little to do here. He does have one nice moment, which plays off his arc from the first movie, but thats about it.
I also did not thoroughly enjoy the first movie, but it did a nice job of introducing the world. In this movie, Narnia doesn't feel magical anymore. It's true, that supposedly 1300 years have passed and the magic is suppposed to be gone, but that was the greatest appeal from the first movie for me.
So... I'd pass and wait for DVD. If you liked the first movie, or if you loved the books, you'll probably like it. I'd rather catch Iron Man again.

No comments: