Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lost Preseason Picks

NFL playoffs start this week – but even more important, Lost Season 6 starts in less than a month. In the preseason tradition of all sorts of sports, I decided to do a Picks and Over/Under column for Lost Season 6. If you have anything else you want my opinion on Lost wise, let me know!

Preseason Picks
1. Locke Resurrection vs Charlie Resurrection
Two well beloved characters who are currently dead, but have been seen since then. I bet Locke gets really resurrected, but we see Ghost Charlie.

2. LAX 2004 vs Island 2007
Did the bomb send the Losties to 2007 or reset them to 2004? I think it would be a great way to mess with us if we thought it reset them to 2004… but then actually sent them to 2007 or something.

3. Sawyer Living vs Sawyer Dying
Depends on pick #8. I’m going with the tragedy here – Sawyer dies.

4. Bad Guy Named Esau vs Bad Guy Named Anything Else
Esau was the brother of Jacob in the Bible. In the fifth season finale, we finally meet Jacob – as well as his apparent rival. While Esau would thus make sense… I’m going to go with something else.

5. Jacob Wins Out vs Esau Wins Out
Ultimate fate of the series – Good or Evil. I think Esau wins out – and turns out to be the good guy (the ultimate boo ya!)

6. Skate vs Jate
Skate stands for Sawyer / Kate and Jate stands for Jack / Kate (at least according to some Internet forums). I don’t think Sawyer could turn back to Kate after watching Juliet die, so Jate wins this.

7. Ben Dies Vs Richard Dies
Both admitted long shots, but I’m concerned that perhaps one of my favorite characters would get killed off. I honestly can’t decide which seems more likely… Richard Dies, I guess.

8. Sayid Lives Vs Juliet Lives
Both these characters ended up season 5 in mortal peril, in 1977. I think (based on the look anyway) that Juliets injuries seemed less likely to be fatal. But then that would waste some great acting by Josh Holloway watching Juliet get ripped down the hole. Sayid Lives, paving the way for Juliet and Sawyers death.

9. “They’re Coming…” = The Ajira Folk! Vs “They’re Coming” = 1977 Losties!
Who was Jacob referring to with his last words? I’m going with our 1977’ers, who will pop back to 2007 to kick some Esau Smoke Monster butt.

10. Smoke Monster is Esau Vs Smoke Monster works for Esau
I think Smoke Monster is Esau. The events of “Dead is Dead” seem to lead me to that direction.

11. Adam and Eve are Rose and Bernard Vs Adam and Eve are Jack and Kate
I think the bomb screwed up Rose and Bernard’s chance to be Adam and Eve. Gotta go with Jack and Kate, and the irony of Kate whining in season 1 that she didn’t want to be Eve.


Over Unders:
3 Major Cast Members Die – I take the over – Sawyer and Juliet, Richard or Ben, and someone else, random.

6 Ajira Deaths – How many random extras from Ajira 316 will die? I take the under – a few, but not half a dozen.

1.5 Mentions of Jack’s Tattoos: Based on our previous seasons, I’ll take the over. I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if the Bomb screws up Jack’s tattoos, and then we have to watch 6 flashbacks of why they’re different than they were.

8 Episodes until we finally learn about Libby: I actually take the over; don’t think it will actually happen. With so many balls in the air, the writers are bound to drop one or two.

4 Times that Kate changes her mind about who she should be with: I’ll take the under, I guess. Don’t think Sawyer will be an option (but dangit, that means that Kate will want him). Change my mind. I’ll take the over. No I won’t. Take the under. (See why I hate Kate?)

8 Lives that Kate Destroys: Way low. Take the over.

5 Previews That Will Entirely Mislead About the Upcoming Episode: To be fair, this problem is much less than in the past, where people would edit the promo horrendously – see the promo for episode 1.16 where it looks like Sawyer is going to shoot Jack – and all he does is point a gun at a boar (albeit menacingly).

5 times that Dave Morgan calls me before I can see the episode on the West Coast: I figure 2 times he will forget about the time change and nearly ruin the episode for me; 3 times he will do that in a joking manner, and twice he will do it to make sure I get this pick wrong, so I guess I’ll take the under. Either way, I can’t win this pick.

2 comments:

Charles Jurries said...

Unless they are giving out misinformation, it looks like Cynthia Watros's filming schedule will be in direct conflict to filming an episode or two of LOST. So if they resolve Libby in any way, shape or form, it'll have to be through another character.

David Morgan said...

Great piece of writing. i love you. here are my thoughts...

1. neither
2. island 07
3. dying
4. something else
5. jacob (i love your theory though and could TOTALLY see it happening, jacob is somehow menacing.)
6. jate. definitely.
7. richard
8. sayid
9. 77 folks
10. IS
11. neither, i dont think it'll ever be resolved.

way over - at least two in the finale epsisode alone. i'd say six+.
over
under
agree with you, never. dangit.
WAY over
under
over
definitely over, haha!