Friday, September 18, 2009

Nerd Files - 1

Welcome to a new series here on Andy's Thoughts. Nerd Files will be a place for me to explore and think about 'nerdy' topics. To define what I mean by 'nerdy' topics, let me quote my wife:

"Boys are stupid. I don't understand why you would.."

So anything that finishes that sentence is ripe for Nerd Files. This will probably focus on two things for awhile - Fantasy Football and Warhammer 40k. So this first week let's talk about Fantasy Football.
This is the first year I've ventured into fantasy football. For the last three years, I've wanted to be in a league, but was too... timid. Last year, I missed entry into the Morgan League by about three minutes. This year? I got into the prestigious Morgan League and was also invited into a league at my wife's graduate school. We're now heading into week 2, so let me talk about week 1.
Morgan League - I got crushed by Dave Morgan himself. All of my receivers sucked, and he had Adrian Peterson, who singlehandedly scored more points than half of my team. Ouch.
MHGS League - I doubled up on my poor opponent. Not much of a game.
So what changes did I make? Well, two big ones, actually. In both leagues, I ended up with Philip Rivers as my QB, with Joe Flacco backing him up. This week, I benched Rivers in both leagues. We'll see how that pays off. I also benched my Eagles Defense in my MHGS league and signed Indianapolis for the week; Eagles play drew Brees, and the Colts play dreadful Miami. I feel good about that.
So we'll see how these gambles pay off.

No comments: