Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Writing Tips - 7

Concept from Steven King's "On Writing"

Remember that no character sees his or her self as the sidekick, the romantic love interest, the Deus Ex Machina.

Every character sees themselves as the center of the story, the point, and there story is the one that is the grand scheme.

This is a much higher view of the concepts of motivation, something that inevitably frustrates me. I need a villain in my story to create tension for my protagonist. However, that character is always going to be one or two dimensional unless I stop to examine why they're doing what they're doing.

If I can't buy that I would do the same thing in a character's shoes with that particular characters background, then the character rings false - and so does the writing.

1 comment:

John Jurries said...

That reminds me of a story about an actor who played a doctor in a play who only appeared for one very brief scene who, when later asked what the play was about, replies "Well, it's about this doctor..."