Thursday, October 8, 2009

Forget and Not Slow Down Review

Forget and Not Slow Down - Relient K

I've always said fondly that Relient K was my gateway band. My gateway into christian music... and then back out of christian music. The first song I ever heard was "Marilyn Manson Ate My Girlfriend" and I was hooked. Five albums and a ton of EP's later, they continue to surprise and delight.
Forget and Not Slow Down is, like every album before it, an evolution. This is not just Five Score with new lyrics. It is recognizably different but also still definitively Relient K. I particularly liked the experimentation on this album - several songs have 'intros' and 'outros' which help blend the songs into each other. It's very unique. Also, the last two tracks (not counting the Amazon bonus "Terminals") start off the same - and then take radically different roads.
Some thoughts on the individual songs:
Forget and Not Slow Down - classic Relient K, and sounds awesome. Very catchy.
Sahara - very hard, and grows on me each time it plays
If You Believe Me - Maybe my favorite song on the album so far... The chorus is great - "If you believe me \ we could stand the test of time \ like no one else"
Matt Thiessen's great lyrics are on full display here: "A lion on his side \ Was it the lying or his pride \ Which brought him down"
Overall... I loved it. Great step for one of my favorite bands. 5/5.

No comments: