Friday, October 9, 2009

Nerd Files - 3

I played my second game of Warhammer 40k last night.
Here's the basics of how the game works, and then I'll walk you through the game. You and your opponent decide on a point limit for your game. Points can be used to purchase certain units - more powerful units cost more, etc. Then you both deploy your army on the table and decide who goes first. You play 5-7 rounds each. Each player gets a turn in a round and the turns go Move - Shoot - Assault.
So last nights game... 1500 points. Space Marines vs... Space Marines!
I have a footslogging / heavy tactical squad army. He was playing an all drop pod army. So on his first turn, he drop pods in two dreadnoughts who... completely missed everything! That was great luck on my part. I turn around and blast him, immobilizing his dreadnoughts and destroying one drop pod. In close combat, his dreadnought immobilizes my dreadnought, rendering them both permanently stuck in close combat.
Then his terminators deep strike in. And the game switches from close with an edge to me to a decisive edge to him. His terminators spread out, and I pump endless bolter shots into them... to kill 3 out of 11. They charge a combat squad, my elite squad, and the immobilized dreadnought - destroying all of them in one assault phase.
At this point, my spirit is mostly broken. My best two units... Gone. I've also missed something like 8 lascannon shots... His assault squad deepstruck nearby, and I shot/flamed a couple down.
From here on out, his terminators just punched me in the face. It wasn't even close. The only other item of note was that my scouts got assaulted, and turned around and MURDERED four assault marines. It was truly awesome and brought a grin to everyones face.

No comments: