Sunday, November 22, 2009

Random Thoughts - 14

Maybe growing up has to do with learning how to cook your own turkey.
(THATS WHAT SHE SAID)

Carrying on, I'm cooking a 20 pound turkey this week. 20 pounds of turkey, according to the USDA, should feed about 20 people. That means, according to my calculation, that me, my wife, and my wifes friend must eat 7 shares of turkey a piece.

But I'm thinking about how strange it is that I'm cooking a turkey. After all, my dad does that. And here I am, about to cook it in four days.

And here's the crazy thing - I sort of know how to. And I don't mean just "throw it in the oven," but real tips - like rubbing herbs between the skin and the meat, and cooking the turkey upside down, and in a bag.

I think I picked it up by osmosis from my dad. I used to watch him and help him on Thanksgiving, and now I know how to cook a turkey.

So here's the takeaway - I picked up information/facts/truth from a relationship, not in the context of a lesson or teaching.

Maybe the best way to learn about God is the same way - in the context of a relationship, being close and watching Him. I grow more and more doubts about learning about God in a classroom setting where God doesn't seem to be moving very much.

Now watch me set the turkey on fire and invalidate this whole post.

No comments: