Friday, December 11, 2009

Nerd Files - 5

A short essay on why Diablo and Diablo II made me a better employee:

Efficiency. It's the key to being a good employee. If I can do everything at the same level of quality as anyone else, but I can do it twice as fast, I am getting twice more work done. Stupid math, right?

Diablo was a hack'n'slash RPG from the nineties. You chose a character class, and you journeyed into a randomly created dungeon to fight Diablo - the Lord of Terror. The randomly created map was a first of its kind - and meant there was no best way through the maze. You had to figure out the best way for each and every game.

And since the single player game had a finite amount of levels, it was in your best interest to complete each dungeon before taking on Diablo himself. When you're talking 16 major dungeons, this takes quite a bit of time. And so I started figuring out the most efficient way to get through each - and all of - a dungeon.

Now I use the same ideas to make work more convenient. I get all of my admits done faster than anyone else - because I'm not wasting time and doubling back. It's like a metaphysical dungeon - and I can navigate it faster than anyone else.

Now to slay some demons.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this post. Makes me happy.