Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Silly Christianity - 2

Do you remember the first time you read Wild At Heart (if you're a woman, Captivating)?
One of the main things that the book (a good read, very helpful, even though I'm about to make fun of it) harps on is that the things that we desire, our deepest innermost longings, are a reflection of who God made us to be.
In Wild At Heart, that meant the reason men like to play wargames and be brutal is because God made us to be warriors. Women, if you read captivating, like to read Vogue or whatever it is that women read because God made them to be beautiful.
It's an interesting premise, and one that is getting more and more play in christian circles and books. I just read about it in a book for introverts (review forthcoming) - the idea that if we're not sure what to do, to listen deep down to what our desire is - that God planted that desire in our heart.
Does anyone have scriptures to back this whole premise up? Because it sounds silly to me. Here's the argument in different wording: "I should do what I want because that's what God wants me to."

Anyone else sensing a self serving christianity here? Maybe my desire to pickpocket is a God-planted desire. Or my desire to see the Red Wings destroy everyone else in the NHL is God-planted - because that desire is as real as any I've known.

It's a seriously silly question.

9 comments:

John Jurries said...

I actually didn't like Wild at Heart for exactly the reason you just listed...Eldridge seemed more captivated by Hollywood's images of macho macho men (Braveheart, Gladiator, ect.) then letting Jesus inform our character. If I recall right, he even went so far as to completely dismiss the whole 'turn the other cheek' teaching claiming that he was sure Jesus got into the occasional fight. The whole book left a bad taste in my mouth.

John Jurries said...

P.S. The word verification for my little rant there was "PREACH". Blogger was egging me on, I think.

John Jurries said...

Hey, and the last one was 'RESSE', which is one of my favorite candies! Freaky, this!

Andy said...

Your favorite candy is RESSE? I prefer Reese's myself.

Men Who Pray said...

do you not think men are designed to be warriors? Or women beautiful?

Or better yet, should men not think of themselves as warriors and women, think of themselves as beautiful?

Is there not an epidemic going on of just the opposite of those two things?

And I believe that part of the deal behind giving us a free will is the choice to make good and bad decisions. It is God giving us the freedom to make both. Now a good choice would really need to be defined as one that compliments the desire of God for your life. I really do not think He gives you a free will unless you want to follow him. then you have to give it back.

I think He partners with us and we with Him. I believe we each have talents, and desires, that are wired into our DNA (God made us that way) and that we choose to use those in partnership with the still small voice of God or for ourselves.

I think we should spend more time appreciating God's ability to make things (us) instead of spending so much time trying to beat all of our humanity out of us.

This was a lot of talking. Clagoste.
That was my word verification.

Andy said...

Derek Gillette said...
do you not think that...
And I believe that part of...
I think He partners...
I think we should....

Here's an excerpt from my original post: "Does anyone have scriptures to back this whole premise up? Because it sounds silly to me. Here's the argument in different wording: "I should do what I want because that's what God wants me to." "

Reading comprehension Fail.

Men Who Pray said...

2nd Kings chapter 20:1-6.

1In those days Hezekiah became mortally ill And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him and said to him, "Thus says the LORD, 'Set your house in order, for you shall die and not live.'"
2Then he turned his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD, saying,
3"Remember now, O LORD, I beseech You, how I have walked before You in truth and with a whole heart and have done what is good in Your sight " And Hezekiah wept bitterly.
4Before Isaiah had gone out of the middle court, the word of the LORD came to him, saying,
5"Return and say to Hezekiah the leader of My people, 'Thus says the LORD, the God of your father David, "I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold, I will heal you. On the third day you shall go up to the house of the LORD.
6"I will add fifteen years to your life, and I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for My own sake and for My servant David's sake.


Here is a passage where God's decree was one thing and the will of a man changed it. Even if it was a selfish, allow me to live longer, desire.

Andy said...

That actually just proves my point. Because Hezekiah's desire was obviously not God's desire at the start of the story - but Hezekiah managed to plead his case.

Men Who Pray said...

and this is why i usually choose to not discuss theology cause it never leads anywhere productive.

I mean, after all, in doing this are we pursuing our own desires here or God's?

peace