Monday, August 23, 2010

Fantasy Football: Autodraft... for the win?

I was all set to partake in my fantasy football draft last week... until I ran into unbeatable technical difficulties. My wife's laptop wouldn't load the software, so I was left to the randomness of that hated foe... Auto Draft.

Which, surprisingly, didn't screw me over too bad. Let's look at my starting lineup... Backups were mostly no namers.

QB: Aaron Rodgers, from GB. A consensus top five quarterback. Dave Morgan has him listed at number 2.

A great pick, and probably where I would have gone with the 8th pick overall.

RB: Matt Forte, CHI. This could be an amazing pick, if Forte rebounds well off his injury. I have hope.
RB: Beanie Wells, ARI. Dave has him listed at #24, which means (in Dave's opinion) he should be the last starting running back in a twelve team league. Nothing special here, although he has good upside.

A couple of potential flyer picks. They'll be serviceable, assuming that they aren't supplanted by the other RB's on their respective teams.

WR: Randy Moss, NE. Top three WR. Probably top two.
WR: Roddy White, ATL. Top five WR, with an up and coming quarterback.
WR: Hines Ward, PIT. Huge possession WR.

And this is where I feel the strongest. Three tremendously good fantasy wide receivers... I think this is where autodraft was great for me... It picked the best player who may or may not have been passed on (for whatever reason), ignoring runs and reaches.

TE: Kellen Winslow JR, TB. I dropped him immediately; I don't want any Buccaneers on my roster. I picked up Fred Davis, of Washington, instead. Although, I think I made a mistake; I didn't realize Davis was second on the depth chart. Better fix that...

(this is where my lack of fantasy knowledge is more evident than I would like).

Kick: Garrett Hartley, NO. Kicker on a high scoring team, should be okay.
Defense: Philadelphia. Serviceable pick.


So, I don't hate my team. Which is good. My running backs are serviceable with good upside. My QB and WR's are tremendous, and while everything else is just okay, how many points are you really expecting from TE/Kick/Def?

I like the way it's shaping up.

Fantasy question: Would you trade Rodgers for Joe Flacco / Felix Jones? I passed, but was sorely tempted.

1 comment:

David Morgan said...

i'm proud that you used my rankings in your analysis.

i'd recommend dropping Davis and getting either Olsen or Keller. probly Olsen.

you had a real good draft considering you didnt draft.