Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mashups: Fantasy Football and Community

Authors note: Mashup is a series here at Thoughts on Life... The point of the series is to take something and view it was an allegory for something else. Mashups are intended to be funny and perhaps thought provoking. Today, we'll talk about Fantasy Football Trades and Community.

I just told you my fantasy football autodraft team. A decent, well rounded team. My largest weakness was my runningback situation, which was shallow to say the least. And then Dave Morgan offered me a trade.

I give up Aaron Rodgers (very great QB) and Beanie Wells (good RB with upside) for Joe Flacco (good-great QB) and Felix Jones (good RB) and Deangelo Williams (good-great RB). Now, normally, I just turn Dave down. Because Dave has so much more knowledge about Fantasy than I do, and I assume he's not dumb. Which means he's getting the better end of the stick. But I accepted this time.

Because I was viewing trades as a zero sum game. Dave gets positives, I get negatives. When in reality, a Fantasy Football Trade can be positive for both sides. Dave and I both met the needs of our teams. We both win, in a sense.

Community can work like this too. Sometimes, we can view community as a zero sum game - I give to you, and I lose. But what if we view it as more? We need to think of creative ways to be in community. Because if we view community as a zero sum (You get at My expense), then everyone loses.

In college, a group of guys (led by Dave Morgan himself) wanted to find a way to help homeless in downtown Grand Rapids. We had no money, so to give money or anything would physically be taking from us (although in that situation it would have meant less video games or something). So we found a creative situation - since none of us used all of our meal credits, we got food to go - and gave it to the homeless people. It was a way for everyone to win (except the university, who hated that we were using the meals that we paid room/board for).

What other ways can you think of to bring community out of the realm of zero sum?

1 comment:

David Morgan said...

very interesting

never thought of fantasy football as a symbiotic relationship, like the little fish who ride on the shark's back and eat the algae ...