Monday, January 3, 2011

NFL: Week 17 and Season Quick Review

Here's where I ended up week 17:

I correctly predicted that the winning teams would be: Atlanta, Lions, Raiders, Patriots, Tampa, Chargers, Packers, Colts, 49ers, Seattle (lock).

I also incorrectly predicted that these teams would win: Browns (upset), Bills, Bengals (upset), Redskins, Jaguars, Eagles. I didn't really state who I was picking in Dallas/Philly, but I meant to take Philly so that's a mark against me...

So the week record was 10-6. Not shabby for week 17. I really thought I was doing much better than I thought; but maybe that's because the only teams I remembered picking were the Browns/Bengals upset teaser and the Bills. Don't take teams that start with B's.

So my overall 2010 regular season:

Picks: 150-104 (59%)
Lock: 12-5 (71%)
Upset: 5-12 (29%)

Not bad. I miscounted somewhere, as there are 256 regular season games, and I only have 254. The two games don't impact my final percentage (I'm still at 59% either way).

Upsets and Locks seem about right for those categories... I did tear up the Lock category, because I started out 1-5. Just goes to show you that the beginning of every season is a crapshoot.

Stay tuned later this week for my "Playoff Rules" column. It will inform you how I make my picks for the postseason, and tell you what those picks are.

Also random factoid I realized last night that I haven't heard anyone announce yet, which may make me a genius ready to be a sportscaster: The wildcard teams are a combined 7 games better than the 3/4 seeds. No wildcard team has a worse record than the team it is playing on the road against.

No comments: