Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Power of Vulnerability Discussion

Yesterday, I hosted a video on my blog. Not entirely sure why it didn't work right - the video is strangely cut off on one side. You can see the full (unmessed up) video here. You can also read the transcript here.

I think one of the interesting things that she talked about was the idea of vulnerability, and how we often try to numb the pain of vulnerability. The danger with that is that we can’t selectively numb – when we numb pain and vulnerability, we also numb joy and gratitude and happiness.

It’s something interesting to reflect on in regards to my life, and definitely interesting to think about with where I’m at currently. In the past, I’ve tried to ignore and numb the feelings of pain and hurt. I think back to my relationships with my parents and I have tried to just simply ignore the ways they did hurt me, and numbed the memories away. In doing that, I simply disconnected from my family. I don’t recall having a single deep conversation with my family after I reached high school.

So perhaps that should be my challenge today – to start entering into those relationships and having conversations, even where it feels dangerous. What about you?

No comments: