Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lost Mid-Season Review and End Game Preview

Last week taught us how Richard has been serving "Ab Aeterno" (from eternity)... It was episode 9, with a total of 18 hours in the season. That means we're halfway. Let's start by reviewing my Lost Preseason Picks...

1. Locke Resurrection vs Charlie Resurrection : I picked Locke resurrected and Ghost Charlie. Not quite... We've had Sideways Locke and Sideways Charlie. Do I get half a point?

2. LAX 2004 vs Island 2007 : I said they would mess with us by making us think it was 2004, but really it was 2007. That's pretty much exactly what happened at the start of the season! I take a point.

3. Sawyer Lives vs Sawyer Dies: I said he dies. He hasn't yet...

4. Name of Bad Guy - Esau or Anything Else : No name yet. That's actually been sort of frustrating. (For the record, I picked anything else...)

5. Jacob Wins vs Esau Wins : No idea yet. I did predict that Esau would win and turn out to be the good guy.

6. Skate vs Jate: I picked Jate. Still stand by that. Sawyer is too heartbroken about Juliet, although Sawyer and Kate have spent most of the season together.

7. Ben Dies vs Richard Dies : No word on either. They survived their centric episodes, so who knows? I picked Richard, by the way.

8. Sayid Lives vs Juliet Lives: I said Sayid would live. I was right. Sort of. Screw it, I'm taking the point.

9. "They're coming" refers to Ajira or 1977 Losties : No definitive answer. I said Losties.

10. Smoke Monster is either Esau or works for Esau - I called that he was Esau. Point!

11. Adam and Eve are Jack/Kate or Rose/Bernard - Adam and Eve made a reappearance in Lighthouse, which made me happy. No answer as to their identity yet. I picked Jack/Kate.

Total: 3 1/2 points out of 11. I haven't really had anything wrong yet, so that's good.

Now to review the over/unders (my picks in parentheses)
3 Major Cast Members Die (OVER): We're at 1, with Juliet. Probably more coming.
6 Ajira Deaths (UNDER): 4 in LAX and the rest in Recon... I missed that one.
1.5 Mentions of Jack's Tattoo's (OVER): None, I think.
8 Episodes until we learn about Libby (OVER): Episode 9, and no new info. None coming?
4 Times that Kate changes her mind romantically (UNDER): Just once, I think. Looking good so far.
8 Lives that Kate destroys (OVER): She beat up two others who ended up getting killed... So that's two so far. Maybe we can blame the temple massacre on her?
5 Previews that will entirely mislead (NO PICK?): I guess I never wrote my pick down. But it's definitely OVER - every promo has promised lots of answers.
5 Times Dave Morgan Calls me (UNDER): Just once so far. Awesome!

So I'm not doing bad on the over/unders.

Here's my state of the season address (two parts):

I don't think the Island stuff has ever been more compelling. Answers about motivations, island mysteries, and redemptive arcs have been frequent. And that's all been in the middle of the season - there is a clear and building arc to the end. We've spent the last few episodes clarifying allegiances, since we learned that Claire was with Fauxcke in Lighthouse. A couple more weeks of that, and then the final battle will be playing out....

As far as the sideways stuff, it's been interesting, but that's all... I've enjoyed the random cameos, and the differences are interesting, but I still wonder what the point is? Last week was refreshing because it wasn't in the Alt World... This week, we're probably back there...


And a preview of what's to come... (if you don't want to know upcoming episode titles, don't look!)

6.10 - The Package (Jin/Sun, if the previews don't lie).
6.11 - Happily Ever After
6.12 - Everybody Loves Hugo
6.13 - The Last Recruit
6.14 - The Candidate
6.15 - Across the Sea
6.16 - What They Died For
6.17/18 - The End

Sixteen is part 1 of the 3 hour series finale... Appropriately epic, huh?

1 comment:

David Morgan said...

what they died for? what WHO died for???

good summary. i agree with you wholeheartedly about everything.

when are you and squires coming to GR again? i guess her name isnt squires anymore huh....