Thursday, March 24, 2011

Love Wins Review: Part 1

After much reading and much talk, I finally got my copy of "Love Wins: A book about Heaven, Hell, and the fate of every person who ever lived" by Rob Bell.

A quick primer, for those of you who didn't catch wind of anything. Rob Bell is the founding pastor of the church I used to go to in Michigan (Mars Hill Bible Church, which is not related to Mars Hill Church/Mark Driscoll). Rob has written a few other great books (Velvet Elvis, Sex God, Jesus Wants To Save Christians). This one achieved a very controversial status after Rob posted a promotional video for Love Wins, with people accusing Rob of heresy and universalism. You can find the gamut of opinions and responses if you look on the internet, but I thought I would offer my thoughts on the book. I'm going to go through the book chapter by chapter and talk about my responses, the controversies as I understand them, and what I think is important in what I'm reading.

The first chapter (What about the Flat Tire?) is in my opinion the best. It reiterates some of the points from the video - "Gandhi's in Hell? Really? And someone knows that for sure?" And then Rob, in typical Rob fashion, goes to town. He just starts asking questions, sharing biblical stories, and highlighting what different stories say about salvation. For example he gives the following list, with each idea coming from how different biblical stories related someones salvation:

“So is it what we say,
or is it who we are,
or is what we do,
or is it what we say we’re going to do,
or is it who your friends are,
or who you’re married to,
or whether you give birth to children?
Or is what questions you’re asked?
Or is what questions you ask in return?”

And that's really all this chapter offers. Stories and the questions that arise from them. And at the end of the chapter, Rob says that this isn't a book of questions, and it's time to start looking at some answers.

One criticism I've heard of Rob is that he asks questions but doesn't provide answers. Well, the end of this chapter was a huge relief in that regard - no, Love Wins isn't going to just poke holes in salvation, ask questions and provide no answers.

I do think this is the most important chapter in the book. Whether or not you agree with the picture that Rob paints from here on out, you have to recognize that the area that we try to plant the flag of our faith on is not as much as a rock as we want it to. There are confusing and contradictory images of how we are saved, and these are in the Bible. We need to recognize that and think about it.

Next Chapter: Here is the New There

1 comment:

David Morgan said...

Awesome, I'm glad you're doing this. I am going to try to do a revie too soon,ough I'm sure mine will be more emotionally charged and opinionated and less thought-through.... I am so sick of all the BS surrounding the book