Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Inception Review

If you haven't seen Inception, don't worry about reading this review. There's not really a twist to ruin and I won't go into depths of the story...

I'll make this quick - go see Inception. It's an amazing film. Very exquisitely layered, it rewards multiple viewings and discussion. Christopher Nolan has become one of my favorite directors - from the ironically unforgettable Memento, to the mind bending Prestige, and through the two best made Batman films, I haven't seen anything by him yet I haven't liked. I'm putting Insomnia on my netflix queue now simply because he was the director.

Gosh, I don't even know how to begin with Inception. It's a really cool story in and of itself - a heist film set in a dreamworld. But some of the concepts take it beyond being just a heist film...

I loved it. It's just amazing. Go see it.


Minor Spoilerish Discussion:
For those of you who have seen it: How do you interpret the end? Here's my theory : perhaps the entire film is an "inception" to Cobb in the same way they were "incepting" Fisher.

3 comments:

David Morgan said...

OK i finally saw it

my main question after the ending was: will there be a sequel? it would certainly be possible and the first movie was such a hit the 2nd one would be a huge hit. but if they do a second one they'd have to resolve the ending - does the top fall over? i think it does; i think that's the real world. but why do his kids never age?

the movie was so awesome. acting was A+ and so any cool, innovative scenes and ideas. brilliant.
but i think a sequel could be even better - more character development, more humor, more romance potentially.
but it was so good. christopher nolan is the man.

on that note, is there a third installment to the new batman saga coming out? i heard a rumor that johnny depp would be the riddler.

Andy said...

on Batman: Batman 3(7) is scheduled for 2012 I hear. And the guy from Inception (Joseph Gordon Levitt, he of the awesome hallway fight) is rumored to be the Riddler.

I'd almost prefer they didn't do a sequel, unless they have some fresh takes on the material and ways it can be improved. I'd like to see them explore some of the underdeveloped concepts - would you prefer to have a fake dream memory of reconciliation with your father? What if that was costing you a relationship with someone else?

They could almost do a sequel that didn't focus on Leo - or what if you didn't learn until near the end of the movie that Leo was the target this time?

David Morgan said...

they've gotta keep Leo - he's too much of a stud.

I love that Joseph Gordon guy. have you seen the movie Brick. he is unbelievably good in it.