Tuesday, December 14, 2010

NFL Column: Goodbye Brett Favre

Well, it's over. 297.

Even after it became curiously cool to not like Brett Favre, there was a thrill in seeing him every week suit up. Even through the wincing pain and crazy interceptions, you couldn't argue with that.

And now it's over. Some will say good riddance; some will just say good bye.

I, for one, am sad to see Brett go. It's hard to remember if it was him or Barry Sanders that I first knew about in the NFL. My favorite play I remember seeing happened in some regular season Green Bay game, and I couldn't find the youtube link. It was a pitch play to some unnamed Green Bay Running back, and all I remember is Brett Favre leading the way down the field making three downfield blocks. It looked like something out of a college play book, and was pretty tremendous.

I have two regrets for Brett... He should have finished in Green Bay. And, barring that, he should have stayed home this year. I thought that he was milking the injuries and attention this offseason when he didn't come right back... but clearly there was something wrong there. Clearly he reached that line where he wasn't the same. And it was sad to see this season.

Anyway, good bye Brett Favre.

Seriously, good bye. Don't try to come back.

Week 14 Review:

I correctly predicted these winners: Colts, Giants, Steelers, Bucs, Falcons, Jaguars, Saints, 49ers (upset), Patriots, Eagles, and Ravens (lock).

I did not predict these winners: Bills, Lions, Dolphins, Cardinals, and Chargers.

Week: 11-5
Overall: 121-85
Lock: 10-4
Upset: 4-9

Week 15 Picks:

In honor of the corrupt and laughable NCAA, let's name bowl games this week!

49ers at Chargers: The Miraculously-Only-One-Game-Behind Bowl! It's our first West/West clash! Both these teams have slim playoff chances, but a loss effectively removes them from contention. I'll take the Chargers on homefield.

Browns at Bengals: The Formerly-Edge-Of-Elite-Quarterback Bowl! Bengals are bound to win one eventually, so I guess I'll take them in a mini upset.

Redskins at Cowboys: The Desperate-Fanbase Bowl! Seriously, are there any two fanbases who desperately believe they should always be winning but never are more than Dallas and Washington? At least Detroit fans know they're terrible. I'll take the Cowboys at home.

Texans at Titans: The Newly-Eliminated-From-Playoff-Contention Bowl! Saw this on my Milk Carton this morning: "Missing: Randy Moss. Was once a great Fantasy Receiver. Has not been seen in weeks; call Jeff Fisher if you have seen him." Um, Texans I guess.

Jaguars at Colts: The Seriously? Jacksonville? Bowl! Seriously? Jacksonville? I pick the Colts.

Chiefs at Rams: The Division-Leaders-By-A-Miracle Bowl! Both these teams must win to maintain their lead in their dangerous neck and neck divisions... Oh, sorry. I forgot these guys play in the West divisions. Take the Chiefs.

Bills at Dolphins: The Endangered-Species Bowl! Who knows. I hate Miami. I used to feel pity for Buffalo. Just take the home team and pray this game isn't on TV.

Eagles at Giants: The Finally-Someone-To-Tackle-Vick-And-Hurt-Him Bowl presented by PETA! Sorry, had to go there. But here's how good the Giants are at knocking out quarterbacks - they knocked Brett Favre out before the game even started... So I'll take the Giants.

Lions at Buccaneers: The 27-Is-Our-Lucky-Number Bowl! Unfortunately, the Buccaneers can beat crappy teams. Detroit is the epitome of crappy teams. Sidenote 1: through 15 weeks, I have misspelled the Buccaneers every time I tried. Even though my high school team was also the Bucs. Sidenote 2: Blogspot insists that 'Sidenote' is spelled incorrectly and wishes me to change it to 'Si denote.'

Cardinals at Panthers: The Win-By-Punt Bowl! If the defenses weren't so inept, I would have called this the "Win-By-Safety Bowl." Maybe Carolina can eke out a win here.

Saints at Ravens: The It's-Way-Hard-To-Think-Of-Clever-Names-When-Both-Teams-Don't-Suck Bowl! Although the Ravens may suck. They win, but have they impressed you yet? I'll take the Saints.

Falcons at Seahawks: The Bird Bowl! My greatest regret is moving away from Bird Bowl picking earlier this year. Even though Bird Bowling always sucked at making picks. This week, I don't care. I'm sticking with the Bird Bowling and picking Falcons. A falcon could totally beat up a seahawk, right? A seahawk is just a dumb name for a seagull, isn't it? Falcons are the Lock.

Broncos at Raiders: The Tim-Tebow-Introduction Bowl! Because you know that Tebow is coming in. You just don't know when. He's like a shark. You'll never know. I'll take Oakland.

Jets at Steelers: The Arrogant-Schmuck Bowl! Could you assemble a team of worst people? Rex Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Mark Sanchez, LDT, and the entirety of the Jets/Steelers organizations? Jets have been badly exposed the past two weeks, and that continues here.
Packers at Patriots: The Funny-Feeling Bowl! Because I have a funny feeling that after we spent the last three weeks comparing the Patriots to the 2007 we're due for a letdown. So I'll take the Packers.

Bears at Vikings: The Who-Cares-Now Bowl! Minnesota went from being the land of drama to the land of snoozes. Bears will probably win.

2 comments:

David Morgan said...

fantastic post.
i agree about the horribleness of the NCAA.
i think Favre will play next season.
and i am surprised you're picking against the patriots. are you crazy!?

Andy said...

I make an amendment: if Rodgers plays, I pick the Pack. If Flynn plays, I pick Pats.