Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Strengths: Adaptability

I recently took a "Strengths Finder 2.0" strengths assessment test. You buy this book which gives you a code to take the test online. It's 120 questions, or something, and the questions are all "continuum" questions. There are two statements on a line, and you have to choose which statement is more true. Frequently the statements don't seem to be related or contradictory, which is supposed to help you split the hair a little better.

So for the next week or two, I'm going to be reviewing my results, one 'talent' at a time. (They give your top 5). I'll count up from the bottom.

Strength #5: Adaptability

Wait, what does that mean? I go with the flow. (It's true. Most people know me as a rather easy-going fellow, one who doesn't make waves.) Gallup says that I tend to make plans through the day, but refuse to be held to an inflexible and rigid schedule.

This puts words to something I feel - why I prefer to drive everywhere almost exclusively. I don't like being somewhere at someone else's whim - I want the freedom to adapt and move where I want.

How do I use this knowledge? A few suggested action steps:
Don't let others abuse your inherent flexibility. Cultivate your reputation as a calm and reassuring person. Seek roles in which success depends on responding to constantly changing circumstances. Openly use your reassuring demeanor to soothe disgruntled friends or coworkers.

Roles in which I would succeed: Live action television/radio, customer service, emergency response.

One thing that the guy who introduced the program mentioned about this survey is that for many people, taking Strengths Finder isn't a revelation of their skills or talents - it's a vocabulary lesson, helping put words to feelings and actions that have already been apparent. I certainly feel this way about this talent.

No comments: