Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Paranormal Activity Review

There are two levels that movies work on, in my opinion.
One is on an artistic level. Movies like "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "Memento" come to mind - these are movies that are crafted so well as to be art.
Then theres a pure entertainment, a pure visceral level. These are your Transformers and your Cloverfields - a ton of fun to watch, but ultimately meaningless.
Paranormal Activity may have been the most visceral movie I've ever seen. It certainly has no artistic value - but as entertainment, it can't be beat. Assuming of course, that you count sheer terror as entertaiment.
The basic premise is this - Katie has been plagued by a spirit since she was 8, and it's been scary, but harmless. Her boyfriend, Micah, has decided to try and catch the spirit on film. So he sets up a camera to film them while they sleep.
And then the camera catches things happening.
I will say without a doubt that it was the scariest movie I've ever watched in theaters. My wife and I both did not sleep well after seeing it. It was sheer terror. And I loved it.
The difference between this and other ilk of the "found footage" genre (read: Cloverfield) is that I don't think this movie needs to be watched in a dark crowded theater. I think it could be even scarier in a quiet and dark living room.
I probably won't sleep well again tonight. 5/5

1 comment:

Jessica said...

andy, isn't it about time you post something?