Monday, June 21, 2010

In Honor of: Jaws 35 Year Anniversary

35 years ago (yesterday), Jaws was released into cinemas. It was the first summer blockbuster; an instant classic. It was a perfect movie.

And it changed film. Without Jaws, Alan Ladd doesn't take a risk on George Lucas, and you have no Star Wars. Ridley Scott never makes Alien. Spielberg never makes Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Schindlers List. Cameron (because of no Scott) never makes Aliens, Terminator 2, Titanic, Avatar.

So this one movie is responsible for some of the best movies of all time.

A few weeks ago, I wrote about how CGI ruined monster movies. I used a few examples of really bad monster movies - Primeval, Anaconda, Deep Blue Sea.

Jaws is a perfect monster movie. There isn't a scene in Jaws that could be cut. I have watched Jaws more than any other movie in my life; and I've even watched all the sequels (ranging from okay to horrible) more than most any other movies.

Here's a few of my favorite Jaws links:




The best film ever.

No comments: