Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Signs: "To Infinity and Beyond"

I wrote the other day that Gamblers Fallacy and Infinite Monkey Theorem can be used to prove that the Earth had a beginning. I meant that the Universe had a beginning, and here's how:

If the Universe had no beginning, it would be infinitely old. And given infinite reactions and infinite time, there is a 100% probability that something would happen to destroy the Universe. Infinite monkeys, etc.

Possibly the universe is indestructible and timeless; but then the universe becomes a Deity and thats a whole different can of worms.

Also, if the universe is infinite, everything that you are doing has already happened an infinite number of times. Because everything would replay itself, again and again.

Ergo, if the universe isn't infinite because of the above absurdities, it must have a beginning. If all of this sounds like I'm talking crazy, it's not my idea. If I can remember the source, I'll let you know.

No one got points though. Shame on you for not commenting.

1 comment:

Men Who Pray said...

I'm pretty sure your source here is the Matrix. I think he was a great philosopher or something, I'm not sure, I just saw the movie they made about him.

Keanu Reeves did a really good job portraying him though.