Friday, January 7, 2011

Fill in the ______: The First Kiss

I'm supposed to lead a 30-45 minute devotional next week for a group of people I don't really know. I led a devotion for them last year, and told some funny stories about India (straight out of Ashram) and then connected them. I'd like to do something this year, but I don't want to talk about India again.

I have three funny stories that don't come from India. I'm going to tell them on the blog over the next couple of days, and I'd like you to tell me:
  • What elements interested you?
  • What elements bored you?
  • What meaning do you see behind the story?
  • Can you draw any lessons / parallels from the story?
  • Any advice on telling the story?
Today's story is "The First Kiss."

I moved across the country for a girl once. Not the long ways across, but from the south side to the north side anyway. This girls name was Jess, and I had fallen hard for her in college. After college, I moved away to pursue an internship at a church. We kept in contact throughout the years, and once my mom died, we began to tentatively explore the idea of being in a real relationship together.

I immediately packed everything I owned and moved back to Michigan. Well, not immediately, but that was how it felt. I left a great house full of great friends and a good job. With very little cash (and right after Hurricane Ike drove gas prices to 5 dollars a gallon) and no firm place to live, I drove north.

All of the housing and job stuff worked out (as it always does if you're patient), and I started seeing Jess on a regular basis. Well, I saw her once. We started dating on a Tuesday, and she invited me over to meet her parents on a Sunday.

We ate dinner with her parents and played some card games. Afterwards, I walked Jess to her car.

"I think we should break up."

I was stunned. We had been dating 5 days and I was pretty sure I hadn't screwed anything up yet.

Jess started explaining, without really looking at me, how she had talked to her sister and didn't feel like we were meant for each other. She said she wasn't sure that she wanted to date me, and wasn't sure if I was her Prince Charming.

She said I wasn't the man she fell asleep dreaming about.

After this verbal explosion, she finally looked at me and said "I would really appreciate it if you said something now."

I stood outside her parents house, in front of Jess's car, and had no idea what the correct response was. At this point, I didn't know if there was a correct response. I cared about Jess more than I cared to admit; and the thought of having moved across the country for this was a more foreign idea than anything I encountered in India. I could feel tears welling up - but I wasn't sure if they were tears of sadness and grief or tears of anger and rage.

"Please say anything," Jess begged.

And so I did.

"Screw it."

And then I kissed her.

3 comments:

Andy said...

A few things to respond to from the last "Fill in the ____" - I don't want to pull the dreaded "You're laughing, now let's get serious!" Pastor move. This is more of an exercise, I guess. I'm playing with these stories to see if they're worth trying to draw some meaning out of.

As far as meaning in this story, I have drawn parallels in the past, using me (in this story) as a Jesus figure. What are your reactions and thoughts to that?

David Morgan said...

how do you mean, yourself as a Jesus figure?

because of the 'you pursued her' thing?

Andy said...

sort of... I guess I'm more interested in what you think of the story and what deeper meanings you can find, rather than what deeper meaning I found.

What interests you about this story if you didn't know me at all is what I'm trying to figure out.