Thursday, January 20, 2011

NFL Conference Championship Picks

Enough lovey dovey wisdom. Let's get back to football and a sad memorial..

To the 2011 playoff season... The first season since I started writing my predictions down that I will end with a losing record. Currently, I'm sitting at 2-6, with 3 games left. 2-6 against the spread as well. All that's left is to drag Dave down with me (he's sitting at 4-4).

Before we move onto the picks, let's review from October - my NFL Bias Rankings. Of the teams we have left, we have #4, the Green Bay Packers. That means they are my fourth favorite professional football team. Then we have numbers 30-32 - Pittsburgh, New York Jets, and Chicago respectively. Actually, disrespectively.

So the best case scenario is clearly a Green Bay / Pittsburgh matchup, which would average a 17 on the bias rankings. That's what I have to hope for - a matchup that averages the appeal of the Washington Redskins, who are the highest rated team in the bottom half of teams I don't like.

Of course, because God hates my sports picks, I'll be looking at a Chicago/Jets (average 31.5) superbowl, and have to decide whether I want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty fork dipped in tabasco sauce or allow my manhood to be repeatedly crushed with a hammer. Oh, and both the fork and hammer have Ebola.

Seriously, if one of those two teams wins, it might be a devastating blow to my sports appreciation. Following on Pittsburgh / Chicago Stanley Cup victories and the dismal Rich Rod experience, I might have to give up on sports altogether.

On to the picks.

Green Bay Packers at Chicago Bears (Pack by 4)

Here's the truth of the issue. I've picked against the Packers twice so far. They are tied with the Jets as the possible kryptonite team for me.

But this week, I'm taking the Packers. Aaron Rodgers? Can't bet against him in the playoffs. And Chicago is still one of the luckiest teams to ever make it to a conference championship - they beat two good teams all year (New York Jets and Philadelphia, who may or may not qualify for "good" status). They had at least one bogus win - week 1 against Detroit. And they played against approximately 24 backup quarterbacks.

So I shall take Green Bay to cover the spread. Heaven help me. Green Bay 27, Chicago 14.


New York Jets at Pittsburgh Steelers (Pitt by 4)

In the last two years, I have picked the New York Jets games in the playoffs at 1-4. I have never picked the Jets to win a game.

So dang it all, I'll pick them to win this game. And be happy either way. New York 24, Pittsburgh 20. Well, as happy as I can be with a Pittsburgh win.

Enjoy the weekend, and get those tabasco forks out!

1 comment:

David Morgan said...

very well said.
these playoffs will be the death of me.