Wednesday, September 16, 2009

flashBANG Review

flashBANG by Mark Steele

Sometimes someone writes a book and you wonder if they were reading your mind.

flashBANG did that for me. In many ways, Mark Steele felt like he was reaching into my mind and giving words to what I already knew. In so many ways, he was definitely writing somethings I needed to hear.

So that was how I reacted. What is the book? What's it about?

Well, the subtitle is "How I got over myself," so that's an interesting place to start. But it's more than that too. It's a journey, from a 'flashbang' (a type of bomb that does exactly what it says -flashes and bangs but leaves no damage behind) to a 'spittake' to 'slaphappy.'

It's told through the lens of stories; from an unfortunate incident with a parakeet and a pot of spaghetti sauce, to a clumsy german missionary, to a doomed attempt to sell cologne door to door.

The book is creative and innovative; I particularly enjoyed reading Mark's humorous, sometimes bizarre, and frequently meaningful arguements with himself.

I give this book a five out of five. It's got a great message and meaning and journey, but it's also just ridiculously funny. I've never laughed so much while reading a book, and I frequently read books that are from the 'humor' section of the bookstore.

Enjoy it.

No comments: