Friday, September 4, 2009

In Honor Of - 2

"cause I'm clumsily dancing away this fear
I'm stumbling closer to you
and I am tumbling over my pride
I will be a fool for you "

"I'm living for the only thing I know
I'm running and not quite sure where to go
And I don't know what I'm diving into
Just hanging by a moment here with you"

"I've seen it all and it's never enough
it keeps leaving me needing you"

It's rare that I like a band for several years. Usually my tastes change/evolve, or the band changes/evolves. It's even more unlikely that music that hits me in my soul at one time will still hit me in the soul years later.

One band has consistently done that. One band has consistently written songs that seem to be where I am.

Lifehouse.

When I was in high school, they hit it big with "Hanging by a Moment," which describes, in my opinion, a search for and yearning for God. I didn't actually discover who the band was until college - I heard it on the radio and loved it, but could never figure out the name of the band. In college, at a worship service, I heard the song "Everything," which was this plea for Jesus to be everything, to show up and be real. After college, the song "Fool," which details how I can try to give Jesus everything and fail miserably. And then, "You and Me" and "First Time" which detail in great fashion the amazingness and novelty of love.

Great stuff all around. I can't wait to see what they have next.

No comments: