Friday, September 11, 2009

one Step

"Journeys end in lovers' meeting; every wise man's son doth know." - William Shakespeare

If the JOURNEY can result in problems, in difficulty, in conflict, then they also present an opportunity.

An opportunity for redemption, for reconciliation, for love.

So the greater the difficulty, the more hope for reconciliation.

Side note - isn't the phrase "hope for reconciliation" great? It sort of rolls off the tongue with meaning and power.

I think this has to do with life. Trials and tribulations stretch us and grow us; this is ancient wisdom, and goes beyond platitudes. Hard work results in strength, which makes the work easier.

This is not simply a physical idea. It's relational.

The more your relationship can bend without breaking, the stronger it is. So when my wife and I have difficulties on the JOURNEY (almost entirely from my own issues), that will make us stronger in the long run. I should still work on my stuff, but the tension and conflict is good for us. I should communicate more and be more sensitive. Not only should I, but I need to. I need to learn from my mistakes - otherwise the hope for reconciliation is wasted. It's a growth opportunity.

This helps to partly explain why some of the best friendships in the world are formed on the JOURNEY. Because they are tried and tested and proven to be true.

No comments: