Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Random Thoughts - 8

Article on CNN.com today: Expert's Ponder Link Between Creativity, Mood Disorders

Interesting.

Doesn't it certainly fall into a category of news that you could title - "Not so surprising?"

After all, think of the most boring and sane people you know. They're the accountants, the lawyers, the managers. They aren't creative, and you on any given day know how they will act. They don't have a flair for the dramatic.

Now think of those around you that are authors, actors, singers.

They're the weirdest people you'll ever meet.

Certainly, this is playing into stereotypes a bit. I'm a writer, but I don't think of myself as overtly dramatic. And I know a few worship leaders who are very low key people.

But what does this mean? How could you interpret this information? Is there a way, based on this knowledge, to unleash creativity?

I think so, and it's based partially on my own experience. You see, what the article suggests is that mood disorders and creativity are not causally related - one doesn't cause the other. But they both have a common link - reflection.

The article does a better job of explaining this than I could, but I think that's a key to being creative. What is it that is eating your mind? Taking your time? Where are all of your trains of thought being rerouted to?

Once you've figured it out, write it. Or sing it. Or paint it. That's what I've done - Ashram arose because of a single story that I could absolutely not get out of my head. Different poems I've written have been because of things that were stealing my mind. My current projects fall in line with things that I find myself thinking about when I'm daydreaming.

So use those reflections. And if you don't reflect, well, you've got other problems.

No comments: