Friday, October 10, 2008

In Honor of - 1

You probably have never heard of Bruce Coville.
Even if you remember what books you read as a kid, chances are you remember the megahits - the Goosebumps and the Animorphs and the Hardy Boys. All of which I read and all of which I enjoyed.
But Bruce Coville was the guy who first taught me the importance of reading.
The second book I ever read was "Aliens Ate My Homework." (If you're interested, the first was the novelization of Jurassic Park, which just proves that people don't change too much, they just get taller).
And I devoured the book. I loved it. Besides the juvenile "ha-I-don't-have-homework-to-turn-in-because-of-aliens" it was real.
I could feel the descriptions. I still, sixteen years later, can remember details of the final battle, with little green aliens on jetpacks flying around, and some dude got punched in the nose.
And so I started to read more by Mr. Coville. And I discovered that not only could books be enthralling, but they could be meaningful.
I read his My Teacher Is An Alien series and learned about the horrors of war. I read The A.I. Gang and learned about how important it is to think for yourself. I read his Magic Shop series and learned that sometimes advice is given for a reason.
I finished the "Aliens Ate My Homework" series and learned the importance of fathers and mentors.
All of that, and I learned that Aliens also pick their noses.
So here's to you, Mr Coville. You started me on a journey that got me reading, that got me thinking, and eventually, got me writing. And may other kids be blessed by your books.

No comments: