Thursday, October 9, 2008

Writing Tips - 2

Read.
Seriously.
Just read.
Read something you would never have imagined yourself reading before.
I'm really bad at this.
I read a lot.
But I read the same books over and over.
And I rarely take a chance on a book.
So I'm not immune to this difficulty.
But here's the thing - If you're always pouring out, and never pouring in, you're empty.
Your writing will be empty.
And if you're not reading anything but what you know you would like, you'll never grow as a writer. Think of some of the more successful books and authors you know. How many of them 'rose to prominence' in a genre?
Probably very few. They busted the genre by taking it in a new direction.
And you will never be able to go in a new direction if you don't know any other directions.

No comments: