Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Writing Tips - 1

How do you become a writer?
It's one of the things I wrestle with. What makes me a writer? What makes me a good writer?
What makes me a great writer?
I'll tell you what sort of writer I want to be. I want to be CS Lewis and Mark Twain's freakish literary step child. I want the diversity and consistency of Lewis and the irreverent humor of Twain.
And I've been trying to figure out how to do that.
And there's one thing I've figured out so far.
It's so simple.
Write.
Just sit down and write.
Whatever words come out, use them.
Stephen King is, no matter what you think of him, a very prolific writer. And I read once that he said that if you aren't willing to write for four hours a day, writing isn't for you. I'll try to look up the exact quote and post it.
But four hours a day of just writing.... Wow.
I don't even come close to that. I'm making strides. It's my current commitment to write in three different places every day - blog, books, journals, etc.
If four hours a day is the yardstick, I'm doing poorly. But I'm doing better than I ever used to be.

No comments: