Sunday, October 5, 2008

Jesus Wants to Save Christians Review

Jesus Wants to Save Christians
Rob Bell and Don Golden

I bought Rob Bell and Don Golden's new book recently. You might remember I posted a preview of the book, and thought it sounded very intriguing. I didn't know what to expect. And this book defied my expectations - it wasn't what I thought it was going to be at all.
Basically, Rob and Don outline a New Exodus theology. They describe how the entire Bible can be told in parallel to the story of the Exodus, and the Passover in particular.
I always sort of understood that the passover was significant, but I never paid attention to it. I have always been interested in the power of communion, and I never made the connection, like the authors do, between communion and passover. There is a reason that Jesus initiates communion on the Passover; he is drawing connection between his person and the lamb slain at passover.
If you're unfamiliar with New Exodus theology, this is a great book to start with. As far as I understand, this acts like a basic primer to this theology. For those who want to paint Rob (and Mars Hill) into an emergent and theological-less corner, this book closes that idea pretty thoroughly. Rob obviously has a theology, and here he has articulated it clearly.
Some thoughts:
There are some scathing indictments of America in here, so if your the ultra-patriotic America-is-God type, you may not enjoy this. There are also some jabs at the modern evangelical church.
Ben Witherington III has a great review. He points out some of the great thinking, as well as some of the issues where Rob and Don are off the mark, specifically regarding Philip and the Ethiopian.
I think that "Blood on the Doorposts of the Universe" is an appropriately epic chapter title.
If you were used to Rob's storytelling approach, you may be in for some shock here. This book has none of the stories that Rob used to such great extent in Sex God and Velvet Elvis. Another reason why it was not what I expected.
The Bottom line:
I really liked this book. Definitely Recommend it. I would make sure, as with all things, to do some research and not just blindly accept everything it it (another reason to read Ben Witherington). But bottom line - read it.

1 comment:

jejeel said...

Have you guys seen these sites yet, http://wikibruce.com/2008/10/virtual-virtues-vividly-voices-vexingly-viral-values/ AND http://citizensofvirtue.com/ AND http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/wall.php?id=27008089259. Looks like Rob is doing something different, again.